Monday, October 18, 2010

Anchorage

In Anchorage, Alaska.


After a nice sleep, I went out to the Cinema 16 complex to purchase a ticket for The Social Network about Mark Zuckerberg who started Facebook.


I got the ticket, but first went to have my dinner, my first meal of the day.  I went to Outback Steakhouse and had a nice grilled salmon and vegetables.  I then meandered to the Barnes & Nobles bookstore.  I drank a nice decaf-soya-latte in their cafe area.  Yumm... especially on a cold day, 0 degrees or so here.


The moon was half crescent above the snow-capped mountains.  Few clouds wafted in the sky.  It is magical here sometimes.  The air is crisp and fresh.  I went to the movies then.


It was a good movie!!!  It showed many things, like how one idea can come over-night, and bulldoze its way into something BIG.  It showed the rigors of the social networks at Harvard University.  It also showed that an idea without the skill to execute the idea is worthless.  Zuckerberg had the idea, but also the brains, to start the Facebook program on his own from his dorm room at Harvard.


I missed my days running a Bulletin Board Service, much prior to the internet.  I later wondered why I did not think of the Facebook idea.  It was not an entirely dissimilar application.  People logged on, wrote on message boards, interacted, uploaded and downloaded games, etc.  


I then went to Denny's, 24-hour diner, and ate a nice white-fish with rice and spinach.  This was really tasty, I just wonder how much butter they put in the rice.  I ordered a turkey sandwich to go, with special grilled onions!  Yum!


Before returning to the hotel I did some last-minute grocery shopping at Carrs, a 24-hour supermarket.  But the taxi driver was already waiting for me, so it was quick and I missed out on an entire healthy section I only noticed through the window as I left.  I was on the hunt for almond butter.  It might have been there.  A note for next time.

I am in the hotel room now.  My flight has been delayed, so perhaps I will get a few extra hours sleep before the flight back to Hong Kong.  It is past 4am Anchorage time.  Is anyone else awake?

No comments:

Post a Comment